stopped paying child support

Stopped Paying Child Support?

Has your ex stopped paying child support?

Unfortunately, in some situations, a former spouse who is the non-custodial parent of your children may stop paying child support. Luckily, there are things that can be done about this situation. When a client informs me that their ex-spouse has stopped paying child support, there are things to consider,

  • We must first see what the actual child support agreement states. This tells us what the payments are expected to be.
  • How long the the child support payments have not been received? his allows us to determine the amount of money that you are owed.

What Steps Can I Take To Recover Back Child Support?

The next step is to allege a violation of your child support agreement. We bring the other parent to the appropriate court. They will answer for their failure to make the payments that they were obligated to pay. Hopefully, the spouse will begin to make their payments once again. Though, in some instances, they unfortunately will continue to refuse to pay their obligated child support. If they still don’t pay, there is the chance of incarceration. States have stiff penalties for refusal to pay child support. One of these penalties is jail time until the payments are made.

In Connecticut, one of the ways that child support can be enforced is to simply have the employer take the child support payments out of the parent’s paycheck. The state also has the ability to place liens on property or simply go into bank accounts and remove the money themselves to ensure that the custodial parent is receiving the child support that they are eligible for.

Judith Goldberg, Esq. is a family law attorney that serves the greater Connecticut area with quality legal services. If you need an attorney to guide you through your legal matter, contact The Law offices of Judith Goldberg.


Judith Goldberg, Attorney & Mediator.   Connect With Judith

© 2017 Law Offices of Judith Goldberg - 36 Mill Plain Road, Suite 307 Danbury, CT 06811 - THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. These materials have been prepared by The Law Offices of Judith Goldberg for general informational purposes only and are not intended and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. Every case is unique. The information contained in this website is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship nor is it intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney. Website User should not act upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel. This website constitutes Attorney Advertising. Website managed by ClickVantage, Inc.