stopped paying child support

When a custody agreement is made in Connecticut, it is legally binding and can only be modified through official legal means. There have been situations in which one parent is granted custody but over time, the relationship between the parent and the child may become strained. The parent may want to relinquish the custody of their child to the other parent. The bottom line is, you can’t just give up on your custody agreement. However, you can go to the child’s other parent and ask if they would rather have custody of the child.

This is important to be aware of because someone has to have custody of the child and if the other parent decides that they do not want to accept your proposal to give them custody, there is not much you can do. The court originally ruled in your divorce or custody case what they felt was in the child’s best interest. If the situation between the custodial parent and the child is at the point where it may be dangerous for either one of the parties, the court may remove the child from the home altogether and consider alternative options, such as living with a grandparent or other options. If you are unhappy with your custody agreement when it is made, you may be able to appeal the courts decision. You may require the services of an experienced family law attorney who can assist you in making a change to your custody agreement and to discuss what your options are.

Judith Goldberg, Esq. is a family law attorney that serves the greater Connecticut area with quality legal services. If you need an attorney to guide you through your legal matter, contact The Law offices of Judith Goldberg. 

Judith Goldberg, Attorney & Mediator.   Connect With Judith

© 2017 Law Offices of Judith Goldberg - 36 Mill Plain Road, Suite 307 Danbury, CT 06811 - THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. These materials have been prepared by The Law Offices of Judith Goldberg for general informational purposes only and are not intended and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion on any specific facts or circumstances. Every case is unique. The information contained in this website is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship nor is it intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney. Website User should not act upon this information without seeking professional legal counsel. This website constitutes Attorney Advertising. Website managed by ClickVantage, Inc.